Contra-Indications to Waxing
- If you are taking anti-biotics or acne medication.
- Use of skin peeling, skin thinning preparations.
- Varicose Veins.
- Underarms: Mastitis.
- Skin disorders or diseases, such as bruising or recent haemorrhage, Scar tissue (especially recent).
- Warts, Moles and skin tabs (area can be avoided).
- Fractures or Sprains.
- Diabetes - some people with diabetes have skin that is very slow to heal. The skin will be watched closely to make sure it does not over react to treatments.
- Sensitivity test may be conducted.
- Use of sunbeds 24 hours prior to waxing.
- If you are receiving cancer therapy (chemotherapy or radiation).
- Menstruation does not prevent you from waxing, however, your skin may be more sensitive.
- If you are pregnant, using oral contraceptives or hormone replacement your skin may be more sensitive to waxing, so it's best to have a patch test (like a small area on your arm) and see how your skin reacts for 24 hours before getting an entire eyebrow or leg wax.
- If you smoke or have Rosacea waxing can irritate dilated capillaries (weak or broken blood vessels) which are commonly found on people with Rosacea and smokers. If the capillaries are very red, stay away from waxing in that area.
- Stimulants such as caffeine or alcohol in your system can cause skin to be extra sensitive to waxing, meaning you could get more red or inflamed than usual. Give yourself a couple hours after drinking coffee or alcohol before getting waxed.
- You might be affected if you use powerful exfoliators on your skin. Salicylic acid (found in some toners or skin clarifyers), alpha-hydroxy acid, white willow bark, white willow bark extract and enzymes all strip cells from the skin. It's all too much exfoliation combined with waxing, and could make skin red, bleed or even scab over. So stop using these products in the area getting waxed for at least three days before, and three to four days after waxing. (Depending on the strength of the product and the type of skin you have the safe wax wait time may be much longer before and after. If the alpha-hydroxy is over 8% then you may have to wait months before safely getting waxed.)